Clients have come to know John Whitfield for his depth of expertise and dogged pursuit of justice. He is an experienced litigator and trial attorney who has over 30 years of experience. John has handed many different types of cases including personal injury, motor vehicle accidents, discrimination, wage and hour violations, medical malpractice, coal mining accidents, products liability and among others.
John has always believed that too many people were injured by the negligence of large companies who cut corners to maximize profit at the expense of innocent workers and consumers. In 1989, John was proud to represent the families of five miners who were killed in the Pyro Mine Disaster at the Williams Station Mine in Union County, Kentucky that took the lives of ten workers. John continues to stand up for innocent victims and leads the aggressive legal team at Whitfield Bryson LLP.
Since the inception of Whitfield Bryson LLP in 1996, John has continued to serve his community and hold negligent corporations accountable for their actions. John is certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Civil Trial Specialist and has appeared in state and federal courts around the country. John has been recognized in the Kentucky Super Lawyers list by Thomson Reuters for his work in Personal Injury (2007-2010, 2013-2020).
In his spare time, John gives back to the legal community by serving as a frequent lecturer of litigation subjects with organizations including the Kentucky Justice Association and the American Association for Justice. Some of John’s writing can be found in publications like the Kentucky Justice Association’s trial practice magazine “The Advocate.” John also serves as the Trial Commissioner for the Kentucky Attorney Disciplinary System.
John is also an avid motorcycle rider. He is a member of a motorcycle club and frequently enjoys weekend joyrides. Because John rides motorcycles himself, he understands the difficulties riders face in motorcycle accident cases and fights aggressively for his motorcycle accident clients.
Some of John Whitfield’s successful cases include:
- John was counsel for individuals who had received the defective Bjork Shiley heart valve. This litigaiton lead to a worldwide settlement against the manufacturer.
- John has represented victims of fraudulent mine royalty practices across the state of Kentucky and obtained numerous million dollar judgements on their behalf.
- Clients in Western Kentucky came to John for representation when they discovered defective concrete was utilized in homes and businesses.
- John served as co-counsel for Kentucky policyholders who were overcharged for premium insurance taxes. This resulted in a settlement for several million dollars.
- John sought justice for a victim of negligent nursing home supervision of intensive care monitoring. John obtained a confidential six-figure settlement for the victim.
- John fought for the family of a minter who was killed by a design flaw in a shuttle car. John obtained a $625,000 settlement for the family.
- University of Kentucky - Lexington: Bachelor of Arts (graduated with distinction)
- Univeristy of Kentucky - Lexington: Juris Doctor
- Kentucky Justice Association
- American Association for Justice
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- American Bar Association
- State of Kentucky
- State of Tenneessee
- State of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit